Sunday, November 15, 2009

The "Freedom" of the Written Word


Here I am all happy about finally publishing my book after so many years of writing. Yay!
I started the very long road of promoting my book and trying to find an agent. Boo!
People have been kind to me and some independent book stores carry my book. Yay!
The larger book store chains refuse to even look at the book because of who produces it. Boo!
The ups and downs of this whole process has been an incredible journey for me. Even when things don't go my way, I continue to learn from each and every experience. Big Yay!
I have been repeatedly asked how I feel about sharing books. Today, after many hours of thinking about what I want to say, I will answer that question as thoughtfully as I can.
I, myself have shared books over the years out of my sheer joy for the written words they contained. I didn't think about how the author was effected. Truthfully, I don't believe most people think about that. Now, as an author, I am torn about how I think. On one hand, I am directly effected when people share books on both sides of the coin. I make no money when folks pass my book to each other. That does make things hard for writers. No one likes to work for free. Having said that, I do realize when someone shares a book, it's because they like it so much and that means they are giving it to someone out of love. I don't want to downplay how wonderful that feels for a writer. The other issue is, my book, for example is supposed to help people feel hopeful. It is perfect for the person who is the least likely to be able to afford even a small purchase, such as my book. Hmmmmmm, I'd rather be naively hopeful and have someone give them my book.
All artists are effected directly by the "sharing" of materials. It is the way of it. We make our living by selling our "product" to whom ever is willing to buy it, with the hope that they will recommend it to others, so they will buy it too. If the same book gets read by 3 or 4 different people, then yes, I only make the small percentage from the original sale. But, the good news is, it also means someone likes my reading enough to want to share it with someone they love.
So, where do I stand on this topic? Me, who has opinions about every topic under the sun? This time, I really don't have any clue.
Here is what I know for sure...if you know someone who could get something out of the book, but is unable to get it for themselves, then please by all means, pass it along. I wrote the book for people to know they are not alone and there is always hope. I want to sell the book, so I can continue to write and will continue to promote it. Christmas is coming and I personally, think it would make a great gift. Remember, I am totally biased. It's a compliment when folks want to share what I have written. I have never lost sight of that. I continue to be grateful every day for what I have and not what I may or may not lose.
Wistfully, I was talking to my eldest child about wanting the book to sell more, whining about my poor sales ranking on Amazon.com, when she pointed out that I am now in the Library of Congress. I hadn't realized that before. I sat stunned by my own accomplishment. Poor sales ranking or not, I accomplished more than I had ever thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...