Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Long Life of the Lion King

I had bought a house after my divorce. I had promised the kids a puppy, and the weekend we moved in I adopted a rescue and named her Asti. The kids were unsure of her at first but came to love her. She was our "Nanny". Betty being tiny, only 4 years old asked me for a kitten. It was about the time I was thinking about it, my neighbor came over upset because her husband had threatened to put one of their cats down. "Why?" I asked, "is he sick?" She looked distraught and said, "No, he just doesn't want him anymore. He's 4 years old. Please take him for Betty." Not one to tolerate animal cruelty on any level, I took Matches in. Betty being of the mind she would have a tiny kitten was less than thrilled. "He's too big and he won't let me pick him up," she whined one day. "Just give him time to adjust,he has been through a lot." I found out within months after adopting Matches that he had fathered his own sibling, Hercules. Since Hercules was kitten I took him in too, and the cats became a fixture in our house. Matches was the voice of Hercules. He talked more than meowed. He could really only say one word that was recognizable, but we always knew when something was on his mind. When he or Hercules needed anything he would call out through the house, "Hello?" He had perfect inflection. It was remarkable the way he knew how to get our attention. He guarded me, much like a dog. He was our patriarch, the man of the family. He would survey his kingdom, taking in a any change, keeping a watchful eye on me. When Danny died, I was unable to sleep, and would wander the house, as if I were a ghost, myself. I would not be able to sit down. I was wracked with fear, and Matches would slowly follow behind me until my legs would ache so much I would finally end up on the couch. He would gracefully climb to the back of the couch and stroke my hair, combing through the long strands. He would comb my hair for hours as I lay, eyes open wondering how in the hell we would all survive. When my emotions would bubble up on me, Matches would lay next to my face, nose to nose as I cried. He did the only thing he knew how and the only thing I really needed; he loved me. With Asti as the animal matriarch, and Matches as the reigning king, our family felt whole in ways I would have never expected. My lion king has stood watch over me and my family for many, many years. I have never owned pets this long. One of my "adopted" kids said I was running a nursing home for elderly pets. It made me laugh, because it had so much truth to it. It never occurred to me that Matches or Asti or Hercules would live this long. Back when I took them in I figured we would love them for as long as we could without having any idea how long that would be. They got us through the most difficult thing we would face. Even as Matches became weaker, he remained my lion king, showing strength, helping me through his passing. I had thought I would try and keep him home to pass here, but as he faded I realized I had to make the decision I dreaded the most. He never showed pain, but he wasn't eating, or drinking. I knew what I had to do as my heart was breaking. I bundled up my king and took him to a nearby hospital. I knew in my heart there would be no miracles to save him. He never resisted me picking him up, though he hated being carried. He had always stood on his own four paws, fiercely independent and strong. Cats normally hide when they are ill, but Matches stayed out in the hall, letting us know he still kept watch. He never once stopped being king, even in the final moments of his life. I had said my goodbyes at home, nose to nose with my king as I gave him a list of those who would be waiting for him. I asked him if he were loved enough, and he did something so unusual for him, he licked my hand. My king had my devotion and respect. He had altered me forever, reminding me daily why life is a wonderful, delicate thing. I had to make the decision to put him "to sleep", but he never closed his eyes. With wise, old eyes, he stayed locked on our faces until his last breath. Before I let him go, I told him what a remarkable cat he has been, and that I would love him forever. It is a promise I will keep, because my king deserves nothing less. This morning, before the break of dawn I was up preparing for my king's burial. I picked out his spot where he would be laid to rest. I dug feet into the ground tears mixing with drops of sweat until my head was throbbing. I placed my beloved king in his final resting spot and covered my friend until the ground was solid beneath my feet. Two large stepping stones have been placed on top of his grave marking the place where the king now resides. My lion king was a regal, majestic animal with human qualities. He was compassionate, fair, and strong. My lion king was beautiful to all eyes lucky enough to behold him. He held his place in our family as one who observed and protected. I will never know another cat like my lion king. He was rare and wonderful and singular in his kind. It was my privilege to live with the lion king. He was gracious in his love, and his ability to expand our hearts and minds. Rest in peace, my king. Hearing you purr in your last moments was my own personal heaven right here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...