Friday, October 9, 2009

Wow! What a Week!


I made the local paper on Wednesday with this incredibly beautiful article by a lovely woman named Trilla Cook. http://http//www.ourtribune.com/article.php?id=8317 When I got the paper I noticed my head was huge. My picture was about 4 inches long and in newspaper speak that is indeed giant. She compared me to my lifelong idol Erma Bombeck and noted that we were both from Ohio. Having my name even in the same sentence as Mrs. Bombeck brought me to tears. I read every one of her books. Watched the movies that were made from her books and followed her articles in the newspaper as if they were a map to maturity. I adored all of her work and followed her every move professionally. If she was on a talk show, I watched. I listened as she used her quick wit to tell a story, recall a memory or spin a yarn. I found her fascinating. Actually, I still do. I had dreamed long ago of meeting her in person one day, just to be close enough that her incredible intellect might rub off just a little. I unfortunately, was not that lucky. My luck, good fortune or blessing has come now in the form of the ultimate compliment.

I was checking out Amazon.com to see if I had sold anymore books. I used to check everyday, until I realized I had become obsessive/compulsive about the sales rank and used it to injure myself as if I were a cutter. You can't un-ring a bell, so once the realization set in that it might not be the healthiest thing for me to check everyday, I backed off to once a week. The article came out this week so I gave myself permission to peek at the sales ranking. While I was on my book's page I noticed that I had another review. I braced myself for what I always worry will be my first bad review. Happily, I noticed the review was comprised of five stars. Immediately I looked to see which family member had gone on to keep my reviews in "perfect" order. I was reviewed by the Midwest Book Review, a group I queried months ago to review the book. I sat and screamed, stunned that a professional reviewer thought my book was worth five out of five stars. The review was very complimentary without being over the top. I had a great review from a professional.

Covered in paint with my hair firmly glued to my head, I laughed out loud at the great fortune I was having professionally, and the disgusting way I looked ( and unfortunately, smelled) personally. Still working diligently on the house in order to get it all sparkling new, I have forgone any concern for my appearance and just keep working day after day painting, replacing and remodeling. I have indeed, a glamorous life. I stay grateful for the able body and the knowledge of home improvement, to do what needs to be done. I may not be pretty right now, but I am very functional and that is what counts these days.

I have had a wonderful week of joy and surprises. It's such a nice life. Paint splattered or not I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...