Thursday, September 24, 2009

Long Time, No See...

The picture I picked for today is that of a claddagh. If you're Irish, you know that that the symbol of the two hands clasping the heart, topped by a crown stand for,"Gra, Dilseacht, Cairdeas", which translates from Gaelic as love, loyalty and friendship. Men and women brought up in Irish/American communities, such as my children were, receive a ring with this symbol. Depending on whether they are in a relationship is how one wears the ring. This ring is used as much for friendship as it is romantic commitment. The tradition of the claddagh is deep and meaningful for the Irish community. There is no greater bond than friendship.

Ever have one of those friends, where no matter how long you been apart, once you talk again it feels as though no time has passed? I haven't had the benefit of living close to my very best friends in years, so that accurately describes all my friendships. Even the dear friends I have nearby aren't people I see very often. Inevitably, our busy lives occupy all our time and days slip away, and before you know it, months have passed without so much as a phone call. We eventually catch up with each other and our friendship is renewed. My friends and I have an acute understanding that time is precious and we don't always have enough to go around. If the friendship takes a back seat then we have the security in it and ourselves to know that one day it will all come back. My life has always required that kind of understanding. Once I had my four children and then became a single mother, there was little or no time for social doings. If someone wanted to see me, they were the ones who had to make the trip or meet me at a practice field, or call me after the kid's bedtime. Even though, my life has settled into a wonderful pattern with my darling Michael and the kids are grown or nearly so, I find that I still have little time for social dalliances, due to home, hearth or work. My friends and I work hard at maintaining our relationships by respecting our limitations and protecting that which is uniquely ours. It's a kind, thoughtful way of keeping close without guilt, shame or remorse. For us, it is what it is. We spend our time, not lamenting how we haven't connected in a long time, but rather enjoying the time we have to the fullest. We honor each other's good intentions and let the rest go. I personally, am Irish Catholic, so I have no need for more guilt or shame, for that matter.
I have been lucky enough to catch up with a few friends I haven't talked to in a while. We got the chance to tell what is new, listen, appreciate each other and wish each other happy and safe. Afterwards, I always feel the same, so blessed to have these wonderful people around to enrich my life. We will never have an abundance of quantity, but the quality goes far beyond my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...