Sunday, September 12, 2010

Where Were You September 12, 2001?


I believe everybody remembers where they were September 11, 2001. I know, I do. I was at the doctor's office having a follow up visit after having my ACL replaced. I remember watching Good Morning America after the first plane hit the north tower. I immediately called my airline guy, Mike, to find out what they thought. "Kellie, that was no small plane. It would have been nearly impossible for an accident like that to happen with a jet." Right then and there I knew we had been attacked.
I got off the phone and looked at the guy sitting next to me. I watched his face and recognized the look of horror, I knew was on my own. "We have been attacked. This was on purpose," I said in a low voice to him. He looked at me, eye to eye, and replied with fear in his face,"I know..." and then trailed off to a whisper. The others in the office were adamant that we didn't know what we were talking about; the other plane circled around and in front of the world, crashed into the south tower. In that moment, no one in that office felt safe anymore.
I have been relatively obsessed with 9/11 stories. I watch the History channel as if it were an assignment. I am fascinated by the humanity, rather than the inhumanity that took place that day. As much research as I have done, and trust me, I could write a thesis, it is the day after that truly has me riveted. In one instant we were altered as a country, and in the same instant we circled the wagons faster than a swarm of flies to a bucket of pooh. Americans flags were on back order, people were throwing their hard earned money as fast as they could to those who needed it, trucks with supplies and man power were being loaded and sent to New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington D.C., the military was flying the skies doing drills, at the ready to protect our sovereign nation. All these things were happening the very next day, and in some cases the very same day. I sat back in awe of the country and the people in it and their reaction. Folks gathered to help in any way they could, spending time, money and energy trying to do their very best. We sat and watched our TV's to see what to do next, what was happening and how we could help. For that September 12th I still feel such gratitude, such humility for my country and their want to be the kindest, most generous nation in the world.
For whatever your memory is for September 11, 2001, know that what you did on September 12th is what counted in ways there are truly no words for. Whether you checked on an elderly neighbor, gathered money and supplies for those in need, or volunteered to pack up and go to ground zero yourself, you proved why we live in a great country. The reaction to terrorism by this country, was to act in courage, generosity and kindness.
Today, I went out this morning and swept pine needles off my driveway. I looked up to the perfect blue sky, much like the one that fateful day, nine years ago. I could not help but smile as I continued on with my mindless task. I felt deep gratitude that I am able to go out into a driveway that Mike and I own and do the simple work of sweeping, feeling peaceful to my core. I have that right, because so many have put their lives at risk to protect me and my family. I have that right because I live in a country who values freedom, life and the pursuit of happiness. I feel blessed because I am so very blessed.
Ask yourself today, where were you on September 12, 2001, and then smile and feel very proud of yourself and the country you live in, because you, my dearest friend, are a national hero.

2 comments:

  1. WOW Kellie! and Amen to everything you wrote above. I too am humbled by our reaction to the events of that day. I find myself asking, 'why can't we do that today? Pull together as a nation to solve hunger, joblessness, homelessness, and so much more?' UNITED WE STAND was so evident 9/12/01 and it should not take such a tragic event for us to pull together as a nation to reach out to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On 9-12, this country was united with patriotism, true americanism, honor and a spirit to give and help their fellow countrymen.
    I wish it could be 9-12 every day.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you will...