Sunday, January 1, 2012

Change Will Do Us Good





Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce Percy. Percy came to us quite by accident because he had wandered away from his loyal owner, jumping his fence and taking off. Tom was outside when Percy came up to him with tail wagging and seemed very tired. He was wearing a harness, was well groomed and obviously very loved by someone. Tom, being my Dr. Doolittle petted Percy showing him kindness and love. Percy followed Tom over into our yard and into our courtyard. Tom gave him food, water and a pillow to sleep on. Percy, being a lost stray, was tired and I believe a little scared until he came upon my Tom. Percy is a full blooded pit bull.

I woke up and got my coffee, heading out to the courtyard, like I do every morning. Tom stopped me briefly and said, "There is a pit bull on our porch. He is lost and we need to find his owner." Seeing the abject terror on my face the minute he said pit bull, Tom quickly told me how nice the dog was and I needn't be scared. But I was scared, I am terrified of certain breeds of dogs. I have read enough stories of horror in our own small town papers, to know that certain owners of certain breeds, breeds disaster. Tom kept talking as I wandered out to see this mammoth headed dog laying on the wiener's outdoor cushion. "Oh, Tom, I don't know..." I began. "Mom, we need to help him. He is so sweet."
I walked out to be greeted by a sweet tempered, docile but imposing dog. It was his structure, his large boned body, square head and small eyes that was imposing. Percy, himself was just happy that someone had showed him some kindness. He walked over as I sat on the bench and laid his giant head on my lap. I petted his head, rubbed his face and began talking softly to him. "Who are you, boy? Where is your home?" This imposing dog merely wagged his tail and moved in for more love.

The hunt began early to try and find Percy's home or if that could not be accomplished, at least find a safe place for him to stay until we found someone to take him. I began posting things on our neighborhood website. There amongst the other news were lots of postings for lost or found dogs. I found out, thanks to "friends" on the site, that if we took him to nearly any shelter he would be automatically put down. As a pit bull, it was procedure to euthanize the strays. Mike and I could not bear the idea that someone's family pet put down for no reason other than his breed. Percy proved himself to be anything but vicious. As a matter of fact, he would wag his tail at everyone who came to the gait. "Not much of a guard dog, are you?" I laughed as I rubbed his belly. We put Percy in the car and drove around our neighborhood looking for clues of who might be missing their beloved dog. No one had seen or knew of anything, so back to the house we went. We collectively decided with New Years coming fast, Percy needed to be indoors. Fireworks and gun shots are overwhelming here at midnight. I did not want poor Percy to be outside panicked as the great booming sounds surrounded us. Tom began hunting for some place for Percy to stay.
I was on the phone with my girlfriend when Tom much later that afternoon, came rushing in. "I found Percy's home!" Our community is about 75,000 people. It was a needle in a hay stack for us to find Percy's home, but we had each taken a turn to try and help. At one point, earlier in the morning as sweet Percy slept, I prayed for him. "Please, help him find his home. Spare his life. Help us do the right thing." It took all day, and many miles of travel before we were able to find the man who was sorely missing his beloved dog. Tom found out that Percy was a rescue. The man who owned Percy had rescued him as he wandered in the woods, badly wounded and scarred from being forced into dog fights. He had been a puppy and the man took Percy in, loving him dearly. Had we taken him to a shelter, he would certainly been put down. This wasn't just a happy ending, it was a glorious one. I felt like it was a sign of things to come for the new year. Sometimes happy endings do happen and everyone really is the better for it.
Later that evening I was getting ready to go out with my darling Michael. Everything I touched turned to crap. I was having a real girl moment when what I planned to wear was not going to do in the balmy, humid weather, my shoes did not match anything else and my hair was taking on a life of it's own. "Oh geeze!" I kept saying loudly. Michael could hear my huffing and puffing as my frustration grew. A man who has been married long enough realizes the exact moment when a girlie woman goes from frustrated to locking herself in her closet not wanting to go out. The response of this man takes the precision of a surgeon. One false move, one off handed comment and the night would go up in smoke. Michael carefully traveled around the emotional landmines I had set up in my hurried, furious, frustrated state with the grace of an Olympic athlete. Thirty minutes later we were out the door. My hair had been pinned up, my outfit changed and the shoes, well, they were basic black. I had tried to put as much lipstick on the pig of the night as I could. Dressing to the last moment, I had to carry my mom purse because no time was left to change bags. I did my best to salvage my attitude, trying desperately not to punish the man who actually wanted to spend time with me.
Once at the restaurant, we took our seats. I had carefully made sure of time, place, and menu. We did not want a big new year's extravaganza. We wanted to go out to grab a light meal, sip some wine and enjoy each others company. They handed us their "special" New year's menu, an extravagant, expensive, over the top, we could not possibly eat that much food, menu that had both Mike and I looking at each other as if we had been duped. I saw the frustration return but this time it was Mike who was feeling the pain. The waiter came over asking to help us, when I asked for a few minutes to try and figure out what we were going to do. "It's $200 by the time we get drinks and gratuity," Mike whispered across the table. I had put on my readers and was looking at the menu, it was not anything I cared for, and I was growing angrier at the woman who had reserved our table for us. "I asked about all this, She said their regular menu was available. This is upsetting," I whispered back. We looked at each other, I could see Michael not wanting to pay for something we did not want, but feeling torn he would ruin our New Year's evening. I looked at his face, smiling I said, "Baby we do not have to do this. I was lied to. This is not what either of us wants. We can just leave. We do not have to sit here and pay for stuff we do not want." My sweet husband, my boyfriend, looked at me with wide open eyes, asking, "Are you sure?" the love he has for me, the way he protects my feelings, the want to do whatever I want, it was all there in my boy's face. "Hell yeah, I'm sure. Let's bounce." Just as quickly as we had been seated we got up and headed for the door. I stopped at the hostess desk to let her know her table was once again available. "There seems to be a misunderstanding," I spoke in a low voice to the young girl at the desk, "I called and was assured we did not have to order form a special menu. Since that is not the case we will be leaving." She told me then the waiter would have given us a regular menu. "That's alright, dear, this has turned into brain surgery, and all we wanted was a light supper. Happy New Year." And with that we left. On our way to the car Mike and I talked about the possible extortion that had just nearly happened. They did not give us the regular menu, I would have had to ask for it, and to be perfectly honest, I would not have known to do that. It was clear they wanted us to spend way too much on their menu to increase their profits. I specifically asked for something, and that is what I should have gotten, without having to beg a waiter for it. I am not at all fond of people doing slimy business tactics and this smacked of exactly that. In the end we were back in our car with the evening hanging in the balance, again. "Go to the grocery store," I told Mike, "I have an idea." I said nothing more wanting him to be surprised and maybe hang onto what evening we had left. Mike pulled into the parking lot and we barely made it in before they closed. I headed for the meat counter to see what was left. Mike tugged on my now determined sleeve, "Baby, you do not have to cook tonight. It's O.K. we will figure something out." "I know," I said while looking at my impeccably dressed handsome husband, "trust me, I think I am on to something."
I grabbed the last rack of lamb, some fresh greens for salad, and a bottle of wine. We headed to the register, and my husband gently kissed me, as we waited to check out. "I love you, Kel." "I know, and you sir, will be having a magnificent dinner for two at Chez Gregg." As we checked out, the bill came to $36.00. "We will dine on superb food, sip this lovely crisp wine and all for the low, low price of $36. Now that is a steal!" I giggled as we grabbed our bags and headed home.

Mike and I had a lovely garlic and rosemary crusted lamb chop, with asiago mashed potatoes, gently broiled to crisp the edges and a fresh green salad. We sipped wine, watched New Yorkers standing in the cold as Celo Green sang, "Imagine". We kissed at the east coast stroke of midnight and again an hour later when Houston finally celebrated 2012. We took our time eating, drinking and laughing, as Michael complimented every morsel I had made. We took our wine to the living room and watched Asti sleep soundly in front of the gas fireplace, with the twinkle lights gleaming in the background. It was not the new Year's Eve we had planned, it was better. Instead of wincing at an over bloated check , we had a lovely meal planned just exclusively for us. It was warm and loving, this new New Year, each of us so willing to sacrifice for the other. Had I wanted to stay at the restaurant, Michael would have paid that bill. We wanted us to be happy, to be together, to enjoy the quiet of each others company and that is precisely what we got.
I have a feeling about this upcoming year, with Michael and I together, and Percy safe in his loving home, the signs all point to a very good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...