Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Glamorous Life as a Writer


Pretty, aren't I? I know how I look, trust me. I wake up to it every morning. There I am in all my glorious, glamour as the writer. I spend about 10-12 hours a day working on my new fangled device attempting to continue to do what I love. I research, edit, outline, word map my way around all the projects I have going. I do it at the most unseemly hours of the morning because I do it when my house is it's most quiet.
I have a house full of college and high school kids, hardly the most quiet group.
I have friends who tease me about "having people", now that I have a published book. Oh, if it were only that easy and fast. I have no people per say, I have: me and a group of very savvy teens/young adults who help me navigate my way around the computer and the Internet. Dan and Chaz are my hardware geek boys. Betty is my apps. girl. Amanda is my web master. Christy is my artistic eye for all things design and verbiage related. There are a host of others out there who have a hand or two in my being able to stay afloat, but if they require payment in any form other than a hot meal and good advice, I am afraid I am out.
The writing part, before an editor sees it is just me, my pink fuzzy robe, my bifocals, and the coffee maker. Sometimes I have a wiener asleep on my feet, snoring loudly. I can honestly say I look like this most mornings when Mike gets up to go to work. I am distractedly tippy tapping away on the key board, taking sips of coffee along the way to manage the level of my alertness.
Mike slips into the room quietly, taking my attention for only the time it takes for us to wish each other a good day and kiss me goodbye. The second he turns to walk away I am staring back at the screen, intent on getting my work done, so when I see him return I can focus on the family again.
Working from home is something I love. I can take care of what I need to and catch up on the work when I want. Admittedly, right now I am a workaholic. I put in the long hours now, so that when our vacation comes up, I can sit back and enjoy my time with Michael and the friends and family we plan to visit. I am excited about the opportunity to get away and celebrate the others in my life. Mike and I have waited a year to go back home. We haven't been home together in 4 years.
I am a Fergie fan. The Duchess cd is one of my favorites. She did a song called "Glamorous" about not changing due to fame or money. My favorite line is, "I'm glad my daddy told me so, (if you ain't got no money take your broke *ss home), he let his daughter know..." My parents let me know a long time ago that being grounded and accountable to the people in your life was job #1.
I sit in my robe, knowing full well I look like something the cat drug in, laughing at my glamorous life now that I am a published author. When the kids make fun of me, I dance around them with my hair in my face sing Fergie. I may not live a glamorous life, but I live a rich one full of love and laughter and humility. My family gets that I am a writer, but what they really want to know is...when's dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...