Monday, June 29, 2009

I'm Still Here

I went back to my home town to see all the lovely people who have supported me during the process of publishing the book. We laughed and joked and talked for hours. I felt warm and loved by those who so willingly gave of their time to be with me. It was a wonderful night.

I travelled through out eastern Ohio and over to Catawba Island during my trip home. I went to my family reunion and saw all the cousins I haven't seen in years. My one cousin, Cindy, owns property that literally looks like a state park. It even has a pavilion and camping area with outdoor restroom facilities, complete with a shower. The setting was stunning. Her land was lush and green, tree filled and pristine. The day of the reunion had perfect 76 degree weather, including a breeze. The trip, a huge success and delight has withered it's way to an unbelievable strike of fate. I am stuck in Ohio.

I fly on an airline that my husband works for and there has been no room on any flight out of town, now for several days. It is the way of it for airline families. The good news is we fly cheap, the bad news is we are stand-by folks who must fly by the seat of our pants. My pants are currently grounded. I am currently residing with my parents living as a retiree, while still in my prime. It's odd to eat at the early bird special time and do puzzle books containing AARP information while I wait for a spot to open up for me to go home. I watch their TV shows, which are not as bad as "Matlock" and "Murder She Wrote", still I miss the comfort of hogging my own remote.

My parents, bless their hearts, have put their own plans on hold as we wait day to day for news of when I need to rush to the airport in hopes of getting on a plane. My father said, "Stay as long as like. We love having you here." I see the sincere expression on his face and wonder how many days will it take before I get the "It's time you live on your own" speech. You know, the one you get when you are young and it's your time to fly. Luckily, for now, we still maintain common interest in conversation and ice cream.

It hadn't been my plan to put down roots back in my home town, but right now I feel myself becoming my old Barbertonian self. Living here would be easy for me. Some things have changed, but for the most part things are still as kind and generous as I remember. There are houses for sale in my parents neighborhood and I daydream about what it would be like to move permanently home. In my mind's eye I see myself walking to the store, wandering over to the folks for Sunday dinner and spending evenings with my friends. I have so much time on my hands right now I go into great detail about what it all would feel like to be close all the time to the ones I love so very much. It would be indeed a nice life. Suddenly my dreams are interrupted by my ringing cell phone and I here Mike on the other end telling me I have to wait one more day. I feel my heart ache inside my chest, longing to see and touch my beloved husband and best friend. The kids call asking when I am coming home. They miss me, a thought, I wasn't certain would appear for them. I feel such a strong gravitational pull to my family back in Texas and the friends down south I have left behind.

I will say a little prayer that will be on my way home very soon. Tomorrow, when I awake I 'll search for the answer of when I get to go back to where my heart now hangs it's hat. I am hopeful that sooner will come before later. For now I will turn off the computer and ask the folks to go out for ice cream with me. We'll go to the same stand I have gone to most of my life and tell stories of people and family long gone and still loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...