Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What I Did On My Summer Vacation...


I write in essay form. It's non-fiction. Truth be told, you just can't make this stuff up. The truth is always stranger than fiction.
This summer Michael and I and Betty went to Ohio for a couple of weeks, partly for business and partly to see the family we miss so much and aren't able see very often. While we were in Ohio we made a very special stop. It's a trip a used to make about once a week. In the beginning I went almost every day.
Last week was a milestone birthday for someone we love very much. There were no cakes, or candles or special dinners. We didn't buy presents or sing to the one we love. Matter of fact we barely spoke of it. The day came and went with no fanfare. Our beloved Danny and father of my four kids would have turned 50 years old. He's been gone now for twelve years. I shake my head in disbelief at that number. It remains hard to fathom that he has been gone that long, but indeed he has.
When we went back "home" I asked Michael if we could make a stop. Unable to refuse me practically anything, we went to the grave of our beloved Danny, where we placed a dozen roses on his head stone. We said our prayers, told him how much we missed him and continued on our journey down to my parent's house. Michael has made that trip with me for many years now. He was the one who consoled me the day Danny died. He held my hand as my best friend at every turn. He, now raises the children that Danny and I had together. To me that is the best way to honor Danny's memory, by continuing on the work he had started.
I thank Danny everyday for the children we have together with my Michael Darling. My kids are lucky to have had not just one father who loves them so very much, but to have two men in their lives who carefully watch over them, tending to their needs and helping them achieve the lives they want. Ever aware of how fortunate they are, they thank Michael regularly for all he does. They are kids and sometimes forget to be grateful for the little things they have been afforded. But it doesn't take long for them to shake away childish behavior and remember that things could be much worse. I watch my kids and the way they constantly check themselves to try and remain on the path of gratitude. That is something I am grateful for.
Michael and I spent our summer vacation remembering to thank our own parents, all very much alive and still pouring their love over us like a water fall. Spending time with them, was the gift we gave each other. One never knows when the day will come when saying "I love you and thank you" in person will cease to be. Better to try and do it as often now when we can, then wait and live with the regret of what we should have done.
My book lists many things I am grateful for. It's not possible for me to list all things I say "Thank you" for and keep the book smaller than an encyclopedia. The stories I told were slices, snippets of moments I know formed me into who I am. After reading the book, people get that as devastating as the divorce and eventual death of Danny was. The story is a love story, albeit a tragic one.
If the book has a moral to it then it is to be grateful for everyday and take the time to say "Thank you" to everyone who is kind to you. The world we live in owes us nothing. Every person we encounter, who is decent and kind and loving is a gift. If I died tomorrow, I hope that is my legacy, that I showed everyone I touched how grateful I am for all the love, kindness and encouragement I have received throughout my life. My summer vacation was well spent and is a reminder to me that I have so much to be grateful for.
Happy Birthday, Danny. We continue to feel your love, strength and encouragement everyday. Thank you for the "Pennies From Heaven" when we sometimes forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...