Sunday, August 16, 2009

It's Tool Time


I have always had an affinity for tools. I love hand tools, power tools and home improvement. My dad used to take me with him to the hardware store, where I was promptly allowed to get a giant gumball from the machine inside. I believe this was my dad's attempt at shutting me up while he walked around looking for what he needed for whatever job he had to do at home. I loved going hardwaring with my dad. He didn't talk much, until it came for time to start a home improvement project. He groused about having to work on the house, but secretly I think he enjoyed the process and took a great deal of pride in his work.
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I am more like my old man when it comes to houses. I love working on and improving my house. I can do dry wall, finish carpentry, minor plumbing and tile work. I have re-plastered, replaced and repaired my houses all my life.
I married a handy guy. I had to. I didn't actively require it, but I can't imagine having somebody in my life who couldn't fix stuff. Michael can work on anything motorized. He is definitely a car guy. His dad was a contractor, so he is a house guy, too. This a rare breed only found deep within the middle class in the Midwest. If your a coastal gal, you might be out of luck.
Mike and I are a team working in tandem on our houses. I will say, we only have disagreements during this process in our otherwise very peaceful home. Once we get the plan together, though, things go along smoothly. When they don't, we are at least able to laugh about it.
We have a plan. We are acquiring the proper tools for the jobs ahead and we will be working mostly alone, tagging each other out for bathroom breaks and meals.
I know why so many folks don't like the home improvement stuff. It's dirty, uncomfortable,expensive and time consuming. I personally, like doing things ourselves. I like the satisfaction I feel when I have a job done to my specifications. I love the design process. I could stand in Lowe's or Home Depot for weeks and never get bored. The work is hard and we usually fall into bed exhausted after a full day of toiling over the latest project. The pay is crap, but the rewards are priceless.
Mike and I spent the other day in a stone place looking at granite, travertine and marble, oh my! We began the start of the next project. The trusty notebook came out and we began planning the how's and what's of where we go from here. We look at each other hungry to get started on the newest, latest job. We know when it is done how we will feel long before we ever start. We understand each other's need to do things ourselves. We feel completely in sync for that moment, right before we start to argue about who picked out the better tile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...