Sunday, August 9, 2009

Just A Moment, Please

Today is Sunday and for the most part I try not to work on Sunday. I work weird hours 6 days a week and on the seventh I like to get caught up on sleep, cleaning, cooking and seeing where the day takes me. Today the day took me to the grocery store.
I got up early like I always do, well before the sunrise. I looked at the cupboards and although they weren't bare they needed some staples in order for me to be able to cook for the rest of the week.
I got ready to go to the grocery store around 5:45 AM. The store opens at 6:00 AM and I like to get there as the morning crew begins their shift. I love my grocery store employees. Over the years I have gotten to know their faces and they always greet me with a smile on their faces, even at such an early hour. I leisurely stroll through the isles checking out what is new, or on sale or what I might feel like cooking that I haven't in a while. I am never in a hurry that early in the morning and beyond the workers the store is usually empty. It's peaceful and I love going well before the rest of the city wakes up.
This morning as I walked through the produce section casually watching the employee spray vegetables and align fruit, when I noticed out of the corner of my eye an elderly couple also shopping. They were also not in any hurry either, enjoying the quiet of the store. I pushed my cart over to the bananas and the gentleman motioned for me to go ahead of them. We giggled at our momentary dance trying to make way for each other. I moved my cart to the side and looked for the right size bunch of bananas. I watched through my bangs the couple touch each other's hands, consult each other on purchases and plan their weekly meals together. They were sweet to each other. The showed each other kindness and respect and I couldn't take my eyes off of them. The woman looked over at me while we shopped in our respective corners and said, "It's nice shopping this early isn't it? It's so peaceful." I nodded my agreement and went on my way, fearful they may think of my watchful eyes as intrusive.
A few isles further into the store I passed them again. "Did you find your cereal, Sweetheart?" the older woman questioned the man. "I did. I already put it in the cart." The woman walked to his side and kissed his cheek. Again, I found myself distracted by their love and staring. I bowed my head and hurriedly pushed my cart to several isles away to give them their privacy. I really felt good by what I saw. It warmed my heart to see such love between two people shown in such simple ways. They cared for each other. They were tender to each other. I felt like I had witnessed something really wonderful between these two. A simple trip to the store. That's probably all it was for them. But for me it felt like something deeper, more meaningful. To witness true, real love between two people seems rare these days. I have watched more than my fair share of sarcasm, condescension, and often times bitterness. That is part of the reason I started shopping alone in the wee hours. But this felt unique and beautiful. I felt lucky to have been there to witness these people and their devotion to each other.
I ended my trip before they did and checked myself out of the store with one of my favorite cashiers. He and I joked around and had a little fun before I packed all of my canvas bags and headed for the door. I was loading up my car in the light of the sun rising slowly, when I noticed the older couple coming out of the store. He pushed the cart while she gently touched his back as they walked to their car. He spoke and she laughed. I got into the driver's seat and felt a real sense of gratitude for the moments I got to share with them. It reminded me of when Michael and I get to shop together. I always laugh and smile when he goes with me. Kissing in the produce section is not new to us. I always miss him when he isn't with me. My life is infinitely more fun when Mike is there to share all my little moments.
It was a lovely morning full of warmth and hope. I watched their warmth and I hoped that Mike and I would always feel about each other the way they seemed to.

1 comment:

Say what you will...