Sunday, April 25, 2010

"May" be I Really Am Lucky


I was reading my “Psychology Today” when I ran into an article about luck. I read studies that were done to determine who is lucky and who is unlucky. I read that most serendipitous events happen to those who are fearless. I gave me pause to think about my own life and how lucky I have been. How many people can survive not just one, but two near death experiences and still end up funny. Yes, I think I am funny. Not hilarious, people would pay to see me funny, but I love irony, slapstick, and puns. In all that I wrote about in my book and this blog, I see how fortunate I am. I run into people I have on my mind all the time, either online, in person, or on the phone. I have had deep conversations with complete strangers asking them where they are from and what they think about any given subject. People fascinate me, so I am always at the ready with questions. I have found things about folks whose families have no clue. How you ask? I ask them. It’s why I write non-fiction. My non-fiction life events and stories of others and myself are infinitely more interesting and bazaar than anything my mind could drum up. Life for me really is crazier, zanier than fiction. It’s what makes me so damn happy.
That was another thing about lucky people, they are happier than others. Well, that’s what the article said and they have footnotes and double blind studies to back it up. I am happy most of the time. I laugh at the most ridiculous things. It’s easy for me to laugh because crying takes too much time and effort and makes me look like crap. I know I have written about crying many time here, but I haven’t emphasized how much I really do laugh. I guffaw, I mean, really belly laugh at least once a day. It makes my stomach tighten, face hurt from smiling and liquids shoot from my nose. Even as coffee squirts from my right nostril, landing in the fruit bowl in front of me, I wouldn’t trade the experience for a million polite smiles.
I have always felt I was lucky because I knew I was. Every day I wake up and count my blessings and thank the Big Guy for everything I have had in my life. Easy? NOOOOOOOO! Great? Oh hell yeah! Knowing how lucky I am has caused me to be even luckier, which was also pointed out in the article. Being somewhat fearless about taking chances has allowed me to remarry when I was advised not to. Not being married to Michael is something I cannot even explore in my psyche. If I could I would have him around me 24/7, ooh, and naked too! Just thought I would throw that in to gross out my kids. I had been burnt, so why try again? It’s not like I was getting married to have a family, I already had four kids and that has been a handful. I did it because I never wanted to regret the opportunity of sharing my heart with another human being, even if somewhere down the road I got squashed again. It is better to have loved and lost. So far my lucky streak has me loving and winning. It’s been the best bet I have ever made.
Writing a book about the worst things that have happened to you in your life, like bed wetting, divorce, medical arrests, suicidal teen, all of that is a scary. What if I am judged? What if it never sells? What if I am an illiterate idiot who just thinks she is lucky? I took the chance and wrote. I love that book, because it represents me not giving into other fears, anxiety and neurosis. I say I am neurotic, and I believe I am to some degree, but it never stops me from dreaming or trying to change and open my mind to things I have never done before.
I have failed many times in my life. If somebody wants to tally those up and believe my failures is what defines me then good luck to you, because there are tons of them. You will need a very sharp pencil and lots of time. The thing I am the proudest of is that I keep trying long after I have been told to stop. I listen more to the voice in my heart than the voice in my head. I never want to be the kind of person who wishes I had tried, but stopped short because I was afraid I would fail. Better to jump and fall down than stop and lay down. Unless you just want to take a nap, then by all means…
The article also said May babies have the most luck of all. I tend to believe it, since my birthday is May 9. As far as luck goes, I have been lucky to have friends, family and loved ones who have loved me deeply, truly for a very long time. As of next month it will be 47 out of 47 years of love. I have to tell you I think those odds are fantastic, which makes me the luckiest person I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...