Friday, May 1, 2009

It's All So Shiny

I had a complete and utter melt down the other day. Well, not so much me, as the family desk top computer. In truth my melt down came moments later when I realized I was cut of from friends, followers and the book. My circuits shorted, my wiring burned out and I let out the mother load of expletives that would have curled Morticia Adams hair. The computer has become my primary work tool. I must admit I was not enthused about that aspect of my new job. I am pen to paper girl. I love using my favorite well worn pens to write on blank spiral notebooks dragging them from room to room and tattering their edges. I have written that many times because it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am sitting in my living room typing this. There is nothing really exciting for most people about that fact, but please understand, I am light years behind everybody else when it comes to technology. I am just beginning to appreciate what others have had for many years. I am happy to have the opportunities, being without strings. Up until now have done all my writing in our game room surrounded by the bratty cats and the foosball table. In the morning, before school the kids play their stereos at full volume on opposite sides of the house with me being the monkey in the middle. It's a surround sound, but not one anyone would hope for.

Writing has always been akin to praying. It's been an opportunity for me to connect with not only myself, but my environment, and the people in my life. It is my personal drug of choice when I am happy, sad, depressed or euphoric. When I am in the zone, I am in a meditative state with my face glazed over like a fresh early morning donut. In my written world, I have time to map out my thoughts, I have spell check to keep the communication accurate, and most of all I have the ability to erase, scratch out or delete mean spirited or useless thoughts. These are the really important tools of my trade; the ability to change what is wrong long before the reader has the chance to witness my bad or ignorant behavior.

The new computer makes me feel more professional. It helps me to feel at least as important as the grade school group who also have their very own computers. It's shiny and new and fun to work on. I must admit though, that when I am near my kitchen table I still need to go chew on a pen cap while referring to my computer as a "notebook". I still enjoy writing on my real notebook in the morning. Like my children, I feel the need to spread my affection around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...