Thursday, May 14, 2009

We'd be madly in love but we're so tired...

Mike and I are sitting outside as I write this, staring off into space with not much to talk about. The last several weeks have been exhausting. We have been fighting the good fight against broken appliances, college kids fiasco's, prom and of course painting the pool with beautiful yet toxic epoxy paint. The wiener is walking on his own now, but we still have to carry him around the empty pool (we're filling it tomorrow, now that the paint is dry and the fumes have dissipated) because he has no control of his butt, literally one good tail wag and he is thrown off kilter.
I won't say we are unhappy because that would require energy that we currently don't have. We still have each other and the gratitude that comes with knowing you live with your best friend. The humidity is up here in Houston and the thermometer is inching it's way up to the summer heat. We have the same weather as New Orleans and I must say that while I was living in Ohio I thought the sultry weather was romantic, even sexy. I still think the wafting smell of jasmine in the evening has it's merit, but I find the whole sweaty thing less appealing now that I am in it. It's tough being romantic with your best sexy look when the perspiration is dripping off the end of your nose. My other personal favorite sweaty thing is when we have the chance to be physically close to one another and we literally stick to each other creating a horrible sucking sound when we part. We call this kind of summer love "hot, sweet and sticky". People think we are kidding, but trust me no southerner thinks it's a joke.
We have no energy to do much in the afternoon heat today. We have chores that need tending to that we will ignore for today. It's a day for recuperation and laziness. I am OK with that. We have both been working our tails off for some time now. One really lazy day never killed anybody, unless of course your a prison guard.
We have sat out here looking at each other glazed over like donuts. I see the pangs of guilt in his eyes and he sees it in mine. We silently forgive each other, our current weakened state of lazy.
I see Mike getting slightly restless because I am writing, which is my job and he feels too guilty to stay put even with my look of "it's OK to just be". I knew this wasn't going to be a mind blowing blog about the wonderful life I have or some epiphany of something I just understood for the first time. It's my life. Some days just are what they are and I merely try and roll with what shows up. In a few moments I will get up and make a salad for dinner since it's too hot to cook or eat. We will have dinner together with a glass of white wine and enjoy the rare breeze that showed up only moments ago. It's our Friday night and instead of going out to howl we will sit and end it with a whimper, but we will do it together and have a few laughs along the way.

If your life seems boring, uneventful or just lazy---relax and go with it. Sit back, put your feet up and remind yourself that even hamsters get off the wheel for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will...